Wednesday, September 14, 2011

My Journey Begins

September 16th 2011
My work with stone began three years ago under French stone carver Jean Pierre Jacquet. While working with Jean I was exposed to many aspects of the trade, and was given the opportunity to help with the drafting, cutting, carving, moving, and installing of many different projects. It is still unclear to me whether or not I will pursue stone carving as my career for the rest of my life. It’s a trade that promises hard heavy work, a humble lifestyle, inconsistent work periods, and little financial security. I am hesitant to jump headlong into such a future. And yet, I’ve somehow caught the bug as many before me and have decided to nurture this strange interest in stone a bit longer.
                           Jean and I working on a limestone fireplace in 2009


I came to the conclusion earlier this year that if I was to continue with stone I would need a more consistent and focused environment to work. I searched a bit online and asked around but couldn’t find much in stone carving (as far as formal education went). It was in this pursuit that my error was revealed. Stone carving is not a trade that is learned in the conventional classroom, or given openly by paid instructors, but rather, it is a trade the must be stolen from the master. Every move the master makes must be replicated, and an observant eye must always be ready to steal the tricks of the trade. Throughout history this burglary has been the work of apprentices and I hope to continue in this theft. In the words of Picasso Good artists borrow; great artists steal,”.

In 2009, While working for Jean, I had the opportunity of joining him at the Stone Carvers Guild annual meeting. While there I was able to build relationships with some carvers and join the guild as a general member. I was hoping this new resource would open doors to potential study and work opportunities in the future. This endeavor proved fruitful as Nicholas Fairplay, an English stone carver contacted me this summer and offered me a job. I jumped on this opportunity, bought a truck, packed my camper and began my journey.

             Gretschen (my truck) and I before leaving Roberts, WI. Sep. 6, 2011

Upon leaving home, my first destination was Sparkill, New York, where the Stone Carvers Guild annual meeting was held this year.
                                   Stone Carvers Guild Meeting 2011

The stone carvers guild began. To the untrained eye there may not have been anything particularly note worthy about the group of predominantly older men, but to me this curios crowd offered an extraordinary wealth of knowledge. Before me were master carvers of all persuasions; traditionally trained, Italian marble sculptors’; Indiana Limestone cutters; English carvers; professional masons; masterful artists; and the nicest group of Texan carvers you’d ever meet (not to mention a whole array of exceptional beards and mustaches.) The meeting was productive, enlightening, and jump started my excitement for the next step of my journey.  Next stop Fairplay stone carvers in Oberlin, Ohio.....

Fred Brownstein Giving Demonstration
This chicken became quite the celebrity to the stone carvers
Amy Brier Working on some Lettering


My brother Aaron was able to come down for the Guild meeting.
 

Malcolm with an air hammer
Me watching Malcolm
Fred Brownstein doing a demonstration with a pointing machine.
 



No comments:

Post a Comment